2) Created marriage and cohabitation variables â€“ Round 2 through Round 10 Due to additional information gathered during the round 11 marriage section, a number of updates were made to created marriage and cohabitation variables. The variables, round and number of affected respondents are below:
3) Created education variables â€“ Round 2 through Round 10 and XRND We conducted large scale checks on the consistencies among the created education variables and across different survey years. When inconsistencies were found, we incorporated the information collected from all rounds to arrive at the created variables. These checks resulted in the hand edits for the following created variables. The variables, round and number of affected respondents are below:
4) Created program participation variables â€“ XRND A small program error led to a miscoding of the following program participation variables as a valid skip which should have been a 0. In other cases, a positive value was replaced. Users interested changes to specific respondents should contact user services. The variables and number of affected respondents are below:
5) Created residence variables â€“ Round 2 through Round 10 A small change in the program recoded invalid skips (-3) values in rounds 2 through 10 to valid skips (-4); this reflects the original program done in round 1. A small change specific to the round 5 data updated this variable to reflect refusals (-1) and don't know answers (-2) in YHHI-3500 to invalid skips (-3). The variables and number of affected respondents are below:
6) Created MSA variable â€“ Round 10 40 respondents were changed from a valid skip (-4) to a code of out of the country (5) in the round 10 CV_MSA variable.
7) Created income variables â€“ Round 8 through Round 10 A small change in the income and poverty program was required to capture a questionnaire change beginning in round 8. The variables and number of affected respondents are below:
8) The CVC_RND_2005 variable was inadvertently omitted from the round 9 data release but is available by downloading CVC_RND_2005.xls. This variable indicates the respondent's most recent interview round regardless of their round 9 interview status. It should be used in conjunction with the CVC_* variables to determine which round from which the information was collected.
9) The military pay variables for rounds 8 and 9 were inadvertently omitted from the latest NLSY97 release but are available by downloading nlsy97r8-9milpay.zip. These variables will be included in the next full release of NLSY97 data.
10) Omitted from the round 4 Codebook Supplement is the documentation of the program creating the Round 4 ESR and collapsed ESR variables (CV_ESR, R55289.00 and CV_ESR_COLLAPSED, R55290.00). This text-file is available by downloading esr.sas.
11) Additional round 1 through round 6 PIAT variables that detail the test answers and conditions will be included in the next full release of NLSY97 data.